|Tian-qi: Year 1, Month 6, Day 6
||(24 Jul 1621)
The Guang-dong Regional Inspector Wang Zun-de memorialized advice on the demolishing of the buildings newly erected on Qing-zhou Island by the "bay yi" at Xiang-shan. He also noted the achievements of the Circuit Commanders Feng Cong-long and Sun Chang-zuo in carrying out the task with unified efforts, and requested that their achievements be recorded. The ministry re-submitted the memorial and it was approved. Note: The area which the "bay yi" had occupied is called Hao-jing. It is a secluded corner of the coastal marshes outside Hu-tiao-men in the south of Xiang-shan County, Guang-dong. Previously, when those bringing tribute from Siam as well as those from Fo-lang-ji and other countries of the Eastern and Western Oceans came, they entered near the provincial capital and traded with local prominent persons. A maritime trade supervisorate was subsequently established and their goods were then taxed. During the Zheng-de reign (1506-21), they moved their anchorage to Dian-bai County in Gao-zhou. In the 14th year of the Jia-jing reign (1535/36), the Guard Commander Huang Qiong, having received bribes, put a request to higher officials that the yi people be allowed to temporarily reside (僑) at Hao-jing Ao, with them paying an annual taxation of 20,000 jin. After this, carved pillars and roof rafters were erected one next to the other. When the fan ships came and went, they had fan people, called "black devils" (黑鬼), who were skilled at swimming, as boatmen and guards. In the 34th year of the Wan-li reign (1606/07), the yi built the Mt. Qing-zhou temple (青洲山寺), facing the sea. It was six or seven zhang high and very broad. It was very unusual and mysterious, and unlike a Chinese Buddhist monastery. The county official Zhang Da-yu requested that its walls be demolished. However, this did not come about. In the 42nd year of the Wan-li reign (1614/15), an assistant regional commander's post was established at Yong-mo in the central circuit and one thousand men were deployed on guard there. At this time, some of the dwellings were demolished, but it was not possible to remove them all.
|Xi-zong: juan 11.4a-b
||Zhong-yang Yan-jiu yuan Ming Shi-lu, volume 125, page 0549/550
Preferred form of citation for this entry:
Geoff Wade, translator, Southeast Asia in the Ming Shi-lu: an open access resource, Singapore: Asia Research Institute and the Singapore E-Press, National University of Singapore, http://epress.nus.edu.sg/msl/entry/291, accessed May 20, 2013.
Comments & Notes